There are available a wide variety of wind tunnels ranging from subsonic to supersonic. They can be adapted easily depending on the type of test to be carried out.
Generally speaking, tests are carried out on scale models for items such as wing sections and motor cars. Scale models of buildings built to architects designs can be used to assess wind loading, wind-induced structural vibration, the wind environment around buildings, and pollution dispersion. Full size items can be tested such as roofing materials, vents and wind turbines.
The following facilities are available:
- Environmental Tunnel - open ended, working section 2140 mm x 1530 mm x 10000 mm, velocity up to 10 m/sec, Models 1/50 or 1/100 scale.
- Number 1 Wind Tunnel - closed return, working section 850 mm x 1150 mm, velocity up to 36 m/sec. Six component beam balance with electrical read out from load cells.
- Number 2 Wind Tunnel - open ended, working section 850 mm x 1150 mm, velocity up to 30 m/sec. Six component weight beam balance.
- Number 3 Wind Tunnel - open ended, working section 450 mm x 450 mm, velocity up to 36 m/sec.
- Small Supersonic Wind Tunnel - working section 100 mm x 100 mm x 250 mm, Max 1.8 Mach, max pressure up to 10 bar, Schlieren optical system, mirror dia 100 mm.
- Large Supersonic Wind Tunnel - working section 150 mm x 150 mm, balance measurements traverse and incidence, Mach number range 1.5 - 3.5, running time 30 – 15 sec, Schlieren optical system, mirror dia 200 mm focal length 2400 mm.
- Low Speed Tunnel - working section 100 mm x 100 mm, constant speed fan with tapered or sudden expansion diffusers.
- Low Speed Tunnel (a) - working section 100 mm x 100 mm x 150 mm, constant speed fan.
- Low Speed Tunnel (b) - working section 100 mm x 100 mm x 150 mm, variable speed fan.
- Low speed flow conditioning pipe rigs - pipe dia 100 mm, 200 mm, 300 mm, Max pipe length 15000 mm.
- Boundary layer tunnel - open end return, working section 300 mm x 300 mm x 1100 mm, Velocity 15 m/sec.
- Water Tunnel - closed circuit, Working section upper 300 mm x 300 mm x 1800 mm, Working section lower 750 mm x 750 mm x 1500 mm, Max water velocity upper section 6 m/sec, lower section 1 m/sec.